Saturday, April 25, 2009

Favorite Things

Verse 1:
Vanilla lattes and skinny jeans
Designer purses and diamond rings
These are a few of my favorite things,
But why do I feel so bad?

Read a good book, fly a kite on a string
Playing guitar, while attempting to sing
These are a few of my favorite things,
But why do I still feel bad?

Me, I, mine mine mine
I cry and I curse, and I wail and I whine
But wait; I'm having an epiphany:
What if my life's not just about me?

Chorus:
What would happen if I opened my mouth
For those who've had to keep quiet?
What would happen if I opened my home
And showed kindness instead of denying it?
What could be if I got down on my knees,
and prayed for them instead of praying for me?
Maybe I'd find that I'd changed my mind
on a few of my favorite things.

Verse 2:
Watching movies, again and again
Waiting to see how each one will end
When you have a TV, who needs a friend?
I can pretend that I don't feel sad.

Plug in my headphones, turn it up loud
Get where I'm going, avoid the crowd
I try not to hear, or get a good look around,
So that way I won't get sad

Me, I, mine mine mine
Sums up my brain, 100% of the time
But I'm thinking I am able to barely see
That maybe the world doesn't revolve around me..

Chorus:
What would happen if I opened my eyes
and saw the hurt people hide inside?
What would happen if I opened my ears,
and heard the millions of people that cried?
What if I start by letting go of my heart,
Trading bitterness for a feeling of something, anything
Maybe I'd find that I'd changed my mind
on a few of my favorite things

Bridge:
All over the world there are boys and girls
who can't see the light at the end of the tunnel
we have hope and we've experienced grace--
think we could share at least a little....?

Verse 3:
Grabbing some coffee with a friend of a friend
Tells me how lonesome his life has been
I smile and I tell him the darkness will end...
...and he doesn't have to be sad

On the way home I turn the radio down,
Say a quick prayer, and take a good look around
Because talking to Jesus about everything
Has slowly become one of my favorite things...
And now I don't feel so bad.

No comments: