Friday, December 11, 2009

Hypocrisy or Vulnerability? This is Me: Suck It.

As a Christian, I am constantly under scrutiny. Whether I realize it or not, there are people constantly watching every move I make, listening to how I speak, and evaluating my relationships with people. This used to be a source of pride for me in my legalistic days...I enjoyed it when people called me perfect, and found my worth and satisfaction in the expression "I could never be like that." Well, those days are long since gone, and I am finding myself facing a new challenge: being viewed, and even feeling like, a hypocrite.
By definition, a hypocrite is someone who says one thing yet does another: a person who does not "practice what they preach." This is usually the biggest gripe that society has with Christians. We are all hypocrites...we preach "perfection" yet do not practice it. Of course this is an accurate assessment to some extent; we try to do what is right, and of course, we fail most of the time. I think that the goal of churches such as TCAL, however, is to break through that image and to point out that it is not out of pride that we are hypocrites but simply out of our fallen nature, that we are all on an even playing field.
With this vulnerability of "here I am, here is my crap, this is me," I am finding that the Christian community does not necessarily approve. I feel myself being categorized as a hypocrite when I say I will stop gossiping yet fail miserably, when I say that I try to pray yet have a surge of anger towards God, etc. My vocalizing of these things, though intending to be more authentic, usually gives me more flack. People assume that I am not a "good enough Christian" to be in leadership. She has issues...we can't put her in charge. I say to you who think this, "You are full of crap." Maybe a word stronger than that.
I think that I am finally at that place where I can not care about those opinions. I don't hold bitterness toward the people from high school and college who aren't of the same opinion as me, and I remember when I was like that as well. But I refuse to filter and stifle the authenticity I feel it's my duty to live out just because it makes you uncomfortable. Obviously there is a balance...but if you truly desire community, that involves connecting at both the good level and the bad. Saying "you know, I am really not feeling it today."
Last week our small group coined the phrase "This is me: Suck It." As offensive as that may be, I want to put that on a T-Shirt and dance around a bit. I think I actually might. I care about your opinion if I am becoming a stumbling block to those who do not know Christ, but if you are a Christian and my openness about my life offends you, then by all means say your peace and keep on moving. I am sure that there is a less offensive hypocrite who would love to be your friend.
Harsh? Probably. But, in my opinion, necessary.

4 comments:

Simply Sarah said...

1. It makes me so happy that you have the "love actually" christmas song playing...i almost fell out of my chair.

2. i LOVE blunt honesty. tell it like it is, don't keep things quiet because they may not be accepted...if it's how you feel or its how you think, than it is valid and it is part of who you are. don't stifle yourself!

The whole purpose behind my blog and my desire for ministry is exactly what you're talking about...it's what TCAL is all about. Let's all be REAL and just enjoy each other as we are, faults and annoying habits and everything. My new favorite thing is to get one on one with someone and have "real talk", asking those questions and bringing up those topics that no one ever wants to.

"this is me, suck it" is awesome. i would totally wear that shirt.

. said...

I like following your blog because you continue to inspire me to be authentic in a world where artificial is all around us. Keep being you.

Anonymous said...

I love this.

-Audree

Dr. Jay Smith said...

Hey, can I get one of those T-Shirts? ;-) XL
I've always said the difference between a believer and a non-believer is that the believer knows that he or she is a sinner. Too many people who profess to believe continue to wear masks...