Sunday, December 20, 2009

Who is he?

I just got home from seeing the new Clooney movie "Up In The Air." Deep but not too deep, funny but not too funny, chick flick and guy movie all in one, this film explores the dynamic of commitment, relationships, and how companionship looks for all sorts of people. One scene in particular involves Clooney, his love interest who is in her mid 30s, and his 23 year old co-worker who was just dumped via text message. She begins to describe the perfect "love of her life," the person she refuses to settle with anyone else for. This man is described to a T, and has very specific appearance, job, etc. The movie portrays this girl's hopes as the norm for a 23 year old, and the other two characters exchange a knowing glance as though "she will learn sooner or later." As a 23 year old woman, I would like to defend myself and say that my desires are not unreasonable, though I find myself in the same boat as this girl often.
My criteria for the lucky gent who will eventually buy me a nice addition to my left hand is pretty simple, though a little specific, I think. Physically, the only thing I care about is that we have some kind of chemistry and that he tries to be healthy, and it might help if he were at least my height. But mainly I care about the heart. Loves Jesus. Loves people. Is outgoing and has a sense of humor. Is a leader but is not threatened by my opinions, and actually enjoys challenging and being challenged. Can be romantic (I almost choked on that one, don't know if I even believe in that, lol). Where are these guys? Why do I get flack for being specific instead of men getting flack for not stepping up?
Just some things I am thinking about.

No comments: