Sunday, May 30, 2010

Sex and the City-Why on earth am I Charlotte?

Unlike most Sex and the City fans, I tuned into the series about 2 years ago when I started recording the episodes on TBS. The first movie came out before I'd ever seen a single episode, and I went to see it simply out of boredom that summer. After watching several episodes, I fell in love with the series. I always wanted to "be" Carrie, because of her stellar fashion and her blogging/writing tendencies. If I could have a dream job, it would be doing what Carrie does. However, I can never seem to find a connection to the root of Carrie's character, which is her inability to make selfless decisions, specifically in relationships. Miranda? Not really. Yes, I am opinionated, but I never am able to articulate myself like her. And I am not a career woman. Samantha, PLEASE. Could not be less like a character. But I have always been turned off to Charlotte because of her rich-girl style and annoying nagging. However, a couple of friends have persistently told me that I am a Charlotte, and after lots of thinking, I'm going to have to agree. Sigh. Here's why:



Charlotte is seen as the prudish one of the girls, constantly cringing at the mention of certain explititives, searching relentlessly for a husband, donning classic solid color suits and pearls. I think that's why I've been so resistant to being labeled as a Charlotte; I HATE being the one who doesn't understand the jokes, who doesn't think that those dumb boot/sandal things are cute, who refuses to wear skinny jeans. I hate it when people give each other that look across the table when I innocently look around and say "What???" But I do relate to Charlotte's ability to not only retain her traditional views on marriage and family, but to, for the most part, make good decisions. Not saying that I'm a fountain of wisdom, but I definitely would NEVER do some of the stupid stuff that Carrie does. Charlotte is apalled when she finds out Carrie is cheating with Big. "You're the other woman!" she exclaims. Her views on cheating are the same as mine; however, Charlotte finds herself in the midst of women who have all sorts of views toward relationships and monogamy. She evolves as the series evolves, culminating in the second movie when she gets all that she wants and is STILL overwhelmed. When Charlotte stresses, she overreacts, whining, crying, high pitched voices, etc........arrow pointing to ME. I hate that I'm like that, but maybe being aware makes it better? lol

All that to say, I definitely am a Charlotte, and I'm proud. She is a strong woman who loves her husband, her children, and her friends. She is consistently there for the girls, no matter what. She is a believer in true love, and will, when the occasion calls for it, throw in a curse word for emphasis (a-thank you). To all of you other Charlottes out there, don't be ashamed!!!

1 comment:

elizagolightly said...

This is an adorable entry! I love this! And yes, take it from a Miranda, you ARE Charlotte. But you're right that you shouldn't be ashamed. You are beautiful and wonderful and strong just like her. Way to be proud of it, girl! <3