Friday, May 21, 2010

Trust Issues...dumb.

Do you have those friends in your life who seem to always know the right thing to say to other people, but when it comes to their own lives they never seem to follow their own advice? If you are friends with me, then the answer is a loud, resounding YES. Which, by the way, I greatly dislike about myself. When people talk to me about things that they are going through or struggling with, I feel like I can see the big picture pretty clearly and help give some sound advice most of the time, especially when it is about spiritual stuff. But when it comes to a difficulty or any situation in my own life, I am the first one to worry furiously, grind my teeth, and focus only on what I can see instead of walking with faith.

This, my friends, is FRUSTRATING. And as much as I want to just maintain my zen-like attitude and feel at peace, I get so dadgum angsty! Right now, it is mostly having to do with work, both in my current job and my attempts to line up a job for next year. My situation here at work is getting worse and worse, and I have the bruises to prove it. Not that I am not grateful for the opportunity, and I do love my student, but it's just hard. I am simultaneously trying to do my job and hunt for a teaching job against hundreds of other applicants who are free to go and do as they please during the day. As I watch the positions go from 25 to 20 to today's count of 13, I start to feel anxiety creeping in. Wednesday night it hit an all time high as I couldn't even go to sleep because I was so tense. Poor Justin caught the brunt of it via FB chat--in case you don't know me that well, I have such a hard time articulating when I am that upset, so his signal that something was up was my awkward silence and unusual calm behavior during hang out time. :) But today I am convicted about it, because seriously, it is ridiculous that I don't trust God to take care of me.

The whole reason I named my blog "Elevated Ebenezer" is from the story in the Old Testament about Samuel and the Israelites defeating the Philistines with the help of the Lord. Samuel places a large rock in the place where this amazing victory occured, calling the stone "Ebenezer" which means "thus far, the Lord has been faithful to us." It served as a reminder which, when discouraged, the Israelites could reflect on and use to help encourage them to trust God. In the song "Come Thou Fount," there is a line that says "Here I raise my Ebenezer, hither by thy help I come." This has been my life motto and my encouragement. Any time I doubt, I desire to take the ebenezer stones in my life and use them to spur me on. And that is what I need to do now.

When I quit teaching last year, lots of people thought it was stupid. And financially, yes it was. But God provided a job for me right on time. And when that didn't work out, he provided another one. He allowed me to focus on my masters and accomplish things I never thought I could. He allowed me to be more involved in TCAL, even leading a small group. He allowed me to make new friends and to meet Justin this semester. Who knows if any of that would have happened if I had not quit at Midlo? I know that if I had done another year, I likely would never have thought to teach elementary, which brings me such joy.

Now, here I sit, with the worries of "What if I don't get a job?" constantly on the brain. Well, I might not. But I need to trust that God has something planned for me, and it might not be exactly how I think it should go, but it will be BETTER than what I can imagine.

That said, I have an interview at 4:30 today. I am giving myself this talk to prep in the event that I don't get hired. Say a little prayer for me!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I will be praying for your today! I think that is a battle a lot of us face. Just remember Jeremiah 29:11