Saturday, September 19, 2009

Story part 6

Just an announcement to the world...I fit into my college jeans this week. Boo yah.

I can be a complainer at times, especially when it comes to plans falling through. I have made countless bucket lists throughout my life, and never tend to follow through with the wishes on them, and I tend to think I am so uncultured. Looking at it retrospectively, I think that I have actually had a lot of life experiences that most people don't get to have.

The summer before my senior year, I applied to go overseas through Go Now Missions. I was thinking I would wind up in Africa teaching children English. However, at the training, that was the one trip that was cancelled. I ended up getting placed in New Albany, Indiana. The US. I was like, "God, really?" Yet another plan falling through. However, I didn't know what God was about to do in my life.

I worked in a crisis pregnancy center in Indiana for two months. Those two months did so many things: provided an opportunity for me to heal from the past while physically separated from it, gave me a heart for people of my own race, introduced me to people who are some of my closest friends today, and the biggest thing, showed me that God really does work all things together for my good.

Let me explain...if I had never gone through all of the crap I did, I would not have been able to understand the feeling the women coming into the center had of absolute hopelessness. Though I have never been pregnant, I do know how that feels. To feel rejected by everyone, that you have no future and no one to care about you. God allowed me to share His love every day to these ladies, and I felt whole, complete, and truly healed.

It was actually during those 2 months that I started blogging. You can look back in the archives if you want. It is so freeing to see that it wasn't a fad..that God truly did change me so much, and He did use me! And no one can take that away.

Sidenote: the one thing about working in a pregnancy center is that you get baby crazy...which unfortunately is not possible for me to do...kind of like locking a diabetic in the bakery closet. lol

No comments: