Thursday, October 29, 2009

Ah, the Dating Game

Being a single woman in 2009 is a scary thing. The safety of being able to meet someone and trust that their intentions are good, they don't have a shady background, and that they really don't plan on trying to mug you is no longer present, causing us to be tempted to run background checks and finger printing on each man we come in contact with. Now, at Howard Payne, I never felt this come into play. Christian school, I know EVERYONE, therefore if you tell me that you are a nice person I am apt to believe you.
But now, it's different. Where do most singles meet other singles? Answer: the club or bar. Which creates a problem for people like me, who 1) don't really hit that scene up and 2) aren't looking for a random hookup. People like me who just want the companionship and are not wanting to just play around are forced to look at our social circles, and then if that's not happening, online dating or something like it. Within this circle seems to be two kinds of people: the ones who are not interested and the ones that are too interested. They either are single and living it up, or are so desperate that if you say one word to them, they "like" you.
Now I know I have cynical tendencies, but really? What's a girl supposed to do? I seriously laugh at what goes on in my head when I am approached by a man. I have become so jaded to the system that I immediately draw conclusions when someone does or doesn't show an interest. Here's the most recent: there are a couple of guys who I have known for a while that are kind of showing some interest. My problem is that I don't trust them at all. I am convinced that they are in desperation mode and that I happened to be standing there when the pheramones hit. Is that fair of me? Am I being cautious or just ridiculous?
A couple of years ago, I read "He's Just Not That Into You" and it is basically my Bible of dating. Unfortunately, as a result I have not dated a guy in 3 years. That's a LONG time. Sometimes I wonder if I am too picky, or if God is protecting me. There has to be a fine line. But I do feel at times as though I give off the "BACK THE F$%^ OFF" vibe. Unintentional of course.
Honestly, I am debating around in my head whether or not to give one guy in particular a chance. I never in my life would have thought of dating this person, but now I am not so sure. I don't know if it's me inventing things in my head, or if it's getting cold and I am in the snuggly state of mind, but I just don't know. Really wish dating was less complicated.

1 comment:

Simply Sarah said...

OOOOOOOOOOK I love you uber much much :)

I have always been that "snobbish" person who has a "eff off" sign on her head when it comes to guys. I don't play games, I'm not gonna flirt, and I'm known for shutting guys down really quick.

But I definitely crave a companion and in the past year or so I've given up on that. I've gone on dates just to go on them and "given" guys a chance that I know I'm not really interested in. And it's been a complete disaster. Awkward horrible dates, a relationship that was completely unGodly, and in situations where temptation and lonliness almost ruined me.

Stay strong. Stay true. I've recently started repeating over and over to myself "I'm holding onto Your promises Lord" and giving it over to God like every 5 minutes whenever it creeps back.