Saturday, May 3, 2008

Senior Goodbyes

Wednesday night, we had our senior goodbyes for Delta Chi Rho. This was a night I had been dreading yet looking forward to for a while. If you don't know how it goes, let me just tell you. The seniors are called, one at a time, to stand up in front of everyone. Each senior has another member talking about them, but it is a surprise until that night. So, one at a time, each senior gets talked about and it is really special. I was super nervous because I was worried no one would want to say anything about me...there is always that one member (at least) who no one really knows very well, and as you can tell by my recent posts, that is an insecurity of mine. So, I hear "Caty Skinner" and I stand up, nervously, not knowing whether or not I will cry. I hear Emily Tittle's name called. I was surprised, but really excited: I have known Emily since she was 16, a junior in high school...I was her intern for a couple of years. To sum up: my senior goodbye could not have been more perfect. Emily said so many things that I needed to hear...she talked about all of our memories together, and told me that I had always been such a good listener to her and she didn't know what she was going to do without me. Needless to say, I cried.
I think the reason why this was so good for me is that, as an intern, I never got much affirmation. And that is to be expected, in ministry one rarely sees fruit of what one does. But to hear someone say, "You made a difference in my life," makes it all worth it. Even if it is just one.
I am still processing through all of this goodbye mess. Rho is over. CABC is over. Classes are over. Many of my friendships are over. I don't mean to sound depressing, and really I don't feel depressed, but wow. It's really like the end of an era. My emotions are so crazy right now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know exactly how you feel because I'm not in a sorority, but I can understand it. Thinking over my life at HPU and knowing that the end is just a week away is so weird. I cannot imagine what my life will hold outside of this place, and it's just strange to have to say goodbye. But I am glad that you will be near me when we start experiencing new things! I love you!