Monday, September 6, 2010

Junk in Your Trunk: To Forgive or Not to Forgive?

The latest series being preached at TCAL is called "U-Haul: Cleaning out the Junk in Your Trunk." Needless to say, it's been a repeated toe-stepping fest. Yesterday, Paul preached on forgiveness. I don't usually think of myself as a grudge-holder. However, it was brought to my attention that there are a lot of people that I'm angry with by default. People who have hurt my loved ones, people that have messed with the lives of people who are important to me. I also tend to blow off the hurts that I receive on a consistent basis, because I don't exactly know how to forgive someone who is still causing me pain.
It's strange to me that I struggle with this, because I've had some positive experiences with forgiveness, one pretty difficult one in particular. So it's not the most fun realization to discover that I still need some major work in forgiving others. I told a friend that I think the easiest way to do this is to make a specific list, not only of who I need to forgive, but of what they have done. Not fun. I repeat...NOT FUN. Not looking forward to it. But it's important to be able to forgive in order to enjoy God's best for me as well as the blessings He's already put in my life...which are so numerous I can't even count.
Not sure why I felt the need to post about it...but I guess it helps to have some accountability in that direction!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Caty, making that list was NOT fun but it was totally worth it. I have to say that I am one of the ones that has a lot of anger in my life that I thought "That was in the past and I already did forgive them" but I don't think I have. I sat in the car on our drive home from church yesterday and I said my list outloud to my husband. I think I said my list the entire 30 minute drive home!!! Crazy huh? That's a lot of anger I had no idea was there but that afternoon I felt soooo FREE!