Monday, September 20, 2010

Selfishness and the Church

The dialogue/debate long occurring between established traditional churches and what many refer to as the "emergent church movement" continues to turn heads and raise many questions regarding not only Christian worship, but Christianity itself. Many of you know that my experience in church extends to both. I grew up Southern Baptist, went to a Baptist university, and now attend a non-denominational church that meets in a middle school. I am always attentive to news and comments regarding not only the differences and conversations between the two, but the global commentary on Christianity as a whole.

I have been awake since 2:30 am due to stupid fever, sore throat, chills, and achy disgustingness. So of course, what better to do than Twitter/Facebook stalk? Creepy, yet always a good time. I read a string of tweets from a friend of a friend this morning that spurred my thoughts a bit. This guy is not a believer, but I definitely agree with his over-all world view. The question that prompted in my mind is this: what is it, specifically, that causes some Christians to act the way that they do, thus causing an overall negative perception of the religion in the eyes of the public?

I've blogged about the whole legalism thing for what seems like forever. My soapbox still stands there. However, in listening to the series preached this past month by my pastor, I've tried to look at issues as the stem directly from the heart. Legalism and hatred are deeply rooted somewhere; they do not just appear out of nowhere. And what I believe causes idiocy in the faith is direct selfishness.

I believe that, in any kind of organized religion, there is a sense of pride in which you know in your heart of hearts that your beliefs are correct. You believe, without a shadow of a doubt, that your way is the only way, and depending on what you believe about eternity, there is a sense of urgency in which you try to convince everyone else to believe the same thing. It is because of this that Christians get offended when people argue with them, contradict them, debate them, and slander them. We quote Scripture at those who do not hold the same vantage point we do, and expect them to suddenly see "the light" and join our ranks.

The problem with this? We are more concerned with being right than actually living out our faith.

The entire point of Christ's sacrifice was not for organized religion. It was not for self-righteousness, or for the disciples to say "I told you so!" to the Pharisees. The way in which the Bible was written displays, instead, an attempt at relatability, a desire to make the knowledge and receiving of Christ's love accessible to Jews, Gentiles, anyone who wants the gift. The Gospels are written for varying audiences for this very purpose: so that ALL may know Him.

Is Jesus concerned with being right? Does He cringe when one church tries to worship with an electric guitar and a drum kit instead of a piano? Is He appalled when a Muslim walks through the door in order to simply gather information, or when a homosexual expects to be treated with integrity within the walls of the church? Absolutely not.

I think that we all need to take a good look at the basics. Our world is in crisis. Do I have to agree with everything that everyone says in order to be "tolerant"? Nope. I'm not a robot. I have beliefs, and I have opinions. But the idea of toleration is something that other religions do far better than Christianity. If anyone can show me the good of taking the beautiful words and actions of Jesus and using them for my own political agenda, or to prove a point, please tell me. Because from where I stand, pointing my finger at the wrongs of the world doesn't change anything.

My vision is that we all step down from our soapboxes and get our hands dirty. I want to work alongside people of different beliefs, in a setting in which we respect and appreciate each other as people, regardless of religious differences. I feel that, if Christians could put pride and selfishness aside, we might at least gain the respect of people who don't believe. And for me, that is good enough for now. I know that when I have been hurt by someone, that pain does not go away in the moment in which that person stops acting a fool. Similarly, it takes time for a view point to change. What if we partnered with organizations centered on showing compassion to the world, instead of questioning celebrity charity motives? What if my friends where (gasp) not just Christians? For me personally, that is how I gauge myself. Because I know that I am a human, I sin, and as much as I hate it, selfishness is present in my life. But I know that if I look at my friend pool, and see a variety of beliefs, colors, and walks of life, that I've at least gained the respect of those people as a person.

Do I fall into the category of people who think their way is the "right" way? Sure I do. I believe with all of my heart that Jesus is more than just a man, and that His love has saved me from the darkness that lurks inside my heart. I should not, and do not, feel that I need to apologize for that. I enjoy the right to be heard. But I'm not the only one who has that right.

Let's practice hearing others, caring about who they are instead of what they are labeled. Let's attempt to live out what we believe, rather than proclaiming it from a pulpit. Let's be unapologetic about our faith, but at the same time recognize that faith does not make us "better" or "worse" people; rather, that we are all equal on this earth and it's our job to do what we can to make that life as livable as possible. I believe that the fruits of this labor could in fact begin a change that could shift the worldview of Christianity as a whole, for the better.

3 comments:

Dr. Jay Smith said...

Good stuff Caty.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this post Caty! I'm taking a World Religion class right now and this has been on my mind a lot lately. I think that it all revolves around a matter of respect for one another. Before each discussion assignment we are to pretend like we have amnesia and do not know what any religious words mean... God, church, spirits, sciences, etc. And simply LISTEN to one another without our own personal experiences and opinions blocking our thoughts and open-mindness! It's funny how so many of the Christians and Atheist have such a hard time with listening without feeling the need to defend themselves! I think we should take this assignment of amnesia more seriously in everyday life sometimes! I totally agree with defending yourself when you are being slandered but only after you have fully listened and understand the heart of the person slandering you! I also don't think it's wrong to repeat a verse to a none believer in hopes that they join your band wagon. That's not just a verse... that's God's Word and I still think good can come from that if used properly and done with good motives. It's God's whisper that we must listen to and strive everyday to hear! We are to be his hands and feet and not worry about any response (positive or negative) because he will take care of the rest! Great topic! Thanks for the awesome post! Hope you start feeling better!

Caty said...

I agree that there is power in the Word of God. What I disagree with is when we expect to give a quick "cure-all" to someone who doesn't believe that Jesus is Lord, therefore has no reason to consider God's word as any more than a book quote. I think that there has to be relationship and intention there...just my thoughts ;)